*The following 7 points are based completely on my own victories and failures during the past 9+ years of singleness. As I write this post from my twin size bed, I too have hopes to one day co-occupy a queen size made in matrimony. That day has not yet arrived... hence my need for self encouragement. Perhaps these notes will also give helpful guidance to another young single! *the fine print
- Learn God. What do you believe? Why do you believe it? Read the Word, complete a YWAM DTS (or some type of discipleship training), pray more, seek His face, soak in His presence, surround yourself with Truth.
- Learn You. What is your identity? Your strengths, passion, purpose, develop your character, walk through healing from past wounds, practice integrity, get educated, gain valuable skills, challenge yourself regularly!
- Learn Others. Serve people, really know them personally, be humble, be vulnerable and teachable, be generous with your time and finances, soak up wisdom, practice listening well.
- Go Places. Listen to God's leading, say yes to Him, experience new cultures, see the extremes of life in our world, take risks for the Kingdom, live like a native in foreign lands, share the Gospel!
- Self Care. Buy a back scratcher (really), pay for a massage periodically, go for the run, hike up the mountain, take great pictures, process with a counselor or BFF, go to the concert, make healthy choices in the kitchen, be creative (colored pencils rock!)
- Record Everything. Good or bad, small or big, practice reflection, keep a journal (or 5), persist to be a good-finder, be grateful, remember beauty, remember God encounters, remember testimonies, remember your dreams.
- Embrace Community. Surround yourself with loving people, widen your circle, practice hospitality, be a joiner, be an includer, share everyday life with real live people (not just social media), variety is important: many backgrounds and ages.